What To Do:
- Once you are allowed back on the premises, check your insurance policy and then contact a remediation company.
- Open all windows to vent smoke and start drying process.
- Discard all foodstuffs exposed to fire or smoke.
- If smoke has reached living areas, plan on moving out temporarily. (Check you insurance policy for Out of Home Living provisions.
- Take pictures if a camera or video recorder is available.
What Not To Do:
- Try cleaning yourself. Do not vacuum, touch the walls, or remove drapes. Ash and soot can contain dangerous chemicals that are extremely hazardous to your health.
- Remove ash or water from carpets and floors. It’s not only hazardous, but in most cases carpets will need to be replaced.
- Try to deodorize. Store-bought or commercial deodorizing products may offset professional formulas that breakup smoke molecules and eliminate odors.