If your home or office has been subjected to water damage, then the possibility of mold formation is very likely. Molds can form in places where there is moisture, and they grow on wet surfaces and cause discoloration to that area. You may have seen them on your wooden fixtures, such as bookcases and cupboards, or beneath the carpet padding if these areas have been exposed to water. Molds form whenever the conditions are favorable – flooding, leaky roofs, broken pipes, and sewage overflow are all potential culprits. Mold tends to grow in places where moisture and organic materials are found in abundance. Molds also spread easily through spores, so it’s essential that mold be removed as soon as it is detected. If you fail to tackle the situation, then you may end up with a huge mold infestation that requires professional help. Professional mold removal is costly and is usually not covered by insurance. Finally, molds can cause health problems, so it’s absolutely vital to have them eliminated immediately.
The only way to get rid of mold is through extensive cleaning. You can use organic cleaners available in the market for mold removal. First, have the infected area sealed off from the rest of the house using plastic sheets and duct tape. This will ensure that no mold spores spread throughout the house. Protect yourself with a facemask, a respirator, gloves and eye goggles. Wear clothes that can be discarded after the cleaning is complete. After taking these precautions and arming yourself with the necessary cleaning solutions, you are ready to tackle the situation.
Have the electricity turned off if your home is flooded. Drain the water completely. Then look for areas where there are mold formations. Scrub the entire area thoroughly using a detergent and a good brush that will help get rid of the mold from the surface area. After scrubbing, rinse well with water. Then, use a vacuum cleaner to dry the area completely and to prevent further mold formation. The area also needs to be disinfected and cleaned. Drying the premises completely is the only solution to eliminate molds and prevent their further spreading.
You can use good mold cleaners like BioZap and Mildew Cleaner, which are available in any store. These cleaners are organic and contain no harmful chemicals. Avoid using cleaners that have a high chemical content such as bleach, chlorine or sodium hypochlorite, to clean and eliminate mold. You can also use vinegar to get rid of molds, especially when removing mold from bathrooms, shower curtains, and counter tops. Vinegar is biodegradable, and it is much safer than chemical cleaners that contain bleach and could harm your lungs if inhaled.
If you can’t remedy your mold problem using do-it-yourself methods, then it’s imperative that you hire professionals to do the job. It may cost more, but the process will leave your home free of mold forever.